Position: Manager, Strategic Initiatives
Location: Washington, DC, or Remote (Bay Area)
Reports to: Chief Growth Officer
BSA | The Software Alliance (www.bsa.org) is the leading advocate for the global software industry before governments and in the international marketplace. Its members are among the world’s most innovative companies, creating software solutions that spark the economy and improve modern life.With headquarters in Washington, DC, and operations in more than 30 countries, BSA pioneers compliance programs that promote legal software use and advocates for public policies that foster technology innovation and drive growth in the digital economy.
Software.org: the BSA Foundation is an independent and nonpartisan international research organization established to help people better understand the impact software has on our lives, our economy, and our society. Headquartered in Washington, DC, the foundation publishes studies that examine the intersection of software and society, and it engages with policymakers and the public to inform policies that can stay ahead of cutting-edge technologies. The foundation also works directly to empower the workforce of tomorrow by encouraging a diverse community of young coders and working to increase opportunities for training and skills.
The Manager, Strategic Initiatives provides project management and support for BSA | The Software Alliance’s policymaker education and industry relations programs and events. The Manager, Strategic Initiatives reports to BSA’s Chief Growth Officer and will work closely with colleagues throughout the organization as well as BSA members, outside vendors, and external stakeholders. A successful candidate will bring strong communications, organizational, and interpersonal skills along with the ability to manage multiple concurrent workstreams, meet aggressive deadlines, and maintain attention to detail. Interest in and understanding of the intersection of technology and public policy are important traits for this position.
Professional Experience and Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree required. Advanced degree in a relevant field a plus.
- Demonstrated ability to multitask in a fast-paced environment, exercise good judgment, meet commitments, deadlines and deliver results on time.
- Solid organizational skills with experience managing project and event logistics and execution.
- Strong written, oral, and interpersonal communications skills with comfort interacting directly with industry executives, government stakeholders, and colleagues of varying seniority.
- Interest in the software industry, technology policy matters and nonprofit educational work; desire and ability to learn about and engage in substantive conversations with key players at supporting companies, in the government, and industry overall.
- Experience working with Salesforce, Dynamics, and/or other CRM platform a plus.
Willing to travel when necessary.
- Coordinate and manage domestic and international public affairs and development projects as assigned by the Chief Growth Officer, working cross-functionally with communications, public policy, government affairs, legal, and finance teams and outside consultants.
- Assist in the planning and execution of meetings and events, including coordination of logistics, development of briefing memos and other materials, outreach and coordination with participants, and event staffing.
- Support core programs for cross-sector engagement initiatives and Software.org: the BSA Foundation including an annual Girls Who Code Summer Immersion Program, Capitol Hill briefings, and policymaker education delegations/trips with Members of Congress and congressional staff.
- Build and maintain lists and databases for campaigns, events, strategic initiatives, and growth projects.
- Develop presentations, collateral materials, strategic plans, and other reports.
- Provide general support to Chief Growth Officer and BSA growth initiatives.
About Software.org/BSA Benefits:
BSA recognizes that benefits play an important role in your selection of an employer. We offer generous benefits including many unique benefits and perks to our employees in locations around the world and encourage everyone to live a healthy, balanced life. Our comprehensive benefits include:
- Generous health, disability and life insurance
- Exceptional 401k plan employer contributions
- Year-end office shut down between Christmas and New Year’s
- Three weeks’ paid sabbatical every five years
- Generous paid maternity and bonding leave
- Emergency backup child care
- Health/Fitness and Financial/Tax Advice allowance
- Professional development, continuing education (including tuition reimbursement) and training
- Casual dress
How to Apply:
To apply for this position, please submit your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Include the position title and location in your Subject Line.
Software.org is an Equal Opportunity Employer and values diversity. We embrace and reflect diversity in our staff and seek skilled individuals who are motivated and passionate about the industry, our work and expansive community.
Thank you for your interest in career opportunities at Software.org: the BSA Foundation!